Monday, February 3, 2014

Raising the barre

The holidays got the best of me this year and I put on a few pounds with all of the extra social events and seasonal goodies lying around. I realized just the other day that at this exact time last year (a few days before my husband’s homecoming from Afghanistan) I was in the best shape of my life.  I was really focused on working out and eating right knowing I was about to see my man in uniform after nearly eight months spent apart! Between Christmas, New Years and a post-holiday vacation (our official and belated honeymoon) I was ready to get back at it and this weekend was exactly the recipe I needed.

One of the latest trends in fitness has been barre classes. I have been intrigued for months and have been truly interested in taking some classes. I scored a deal back in November through Living Social for a place that a friend highly recommended. I finally got there this weekend and I couldn’t have been more pleased with the entire hour I was there.

What is barre?
The name comes from the “bar”re used in ballet; where small girls in pink tutus hold on as they pliĆ© and releve focusing on their form and posture. I was pleased to have spent some time at the barre, bringing back my love for dancing, but not for the entire class. The method consisted of many repetitions of small movements, LOTS of pulsing and sometimes the use of light weights. I wouldn’t exactly say it was a high intensive class where you are instructed to do jumping jacks or some sort of fast cardio exercise in between sets, but I was definitely sweating and constantly felt the burn.


I will resort back to my favorite usage of description to summarize my barre experience: feminine, fun and full, as in full body. The class is divided into a few minutes dedicated to each part of the body - biceps, triceps, chest, legs, and glutes so at the end of the hour, I was left feeling fulfilled.



Before I spoil too much of a great experience, I will conclude with saying it was one of the best classes I have ever attended and it was definitely worth checking out for any woman interested in trying a new workout. Barre allows women to target "trouble" spots while still feeling like a woman and maybe bringing back some tutu memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment