Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Super Bowl Reflection



About 48 hours later, we have all seen the most recent Coca Cola Super Bowl commercial that has illustrated the exact reason companies spend MILLIONS just for 30-60 seconds of publicity. According to the Washington Post, the companies whose commercials were broadcasted during Sunday night’s game paid roughly $4 million for 30 seconds of airtime…or $133,000 per second, at the very least.

Worth it? I think so.
The simple and pure reason ANY company wants to be a part of the Super Bowl commercials is because it is one of, if not, the largest broadcasted television event. Expecting, and receiving, the exposure of millions is not only intriguing, but beneficial and tactically smart for associations to renew their marketing skills or begin them. In 2007, Go Daddy placed their first Super Bowl ad and reported that by the end of the football game, they had over 1 million hits on their website.

The Coca Cola ad named “America the Beautiful” from this year’s Super Bowl has seemed to get the most attention simply by its social media reactions, never mind by word of mouth. The negative reactions are not only ignorant, but immensely disappointing to someone like myself, who truly appreciates America for what it is – a melting pot of all types of people, cultures and lifestyles. As a common political debate topic, the fact that well into the 21st we still can’t accept people as people, is nearing inhumane, especially in a country whose foundation began on freedom and justice for all.

This morning I watched another Coca Cola skit…it was clips from behind the scenes of the commercial. I believe it may have been released in response to the hatred and ignorant opposition this company received after the commercial aired during the game, for playing “America the Beautiful” in several different languages, while flashing photos of different kinds of people, including a gay couple all who live in, and call America their home. It was almost as if the commercial was a form of symbolism for what the later video had to spell out for those too ignorant to comprehend. The beautiful song that defines our amazing country, was depicted by many people in many languages, because that IS America. 

This 5 minute video brought me to tears – both in happiness and in disgust. I was happy to see all of these people complimenting America for what it truly is and also that their families were able to make their way here to live in a free, just country. The disgust came from my personal confusion where the rude, uneducated and selfish responses could have even come from. 

First, I ask you to watch the commercial that received exactly what Coca Cola wanted: exposure through a thoughtful and provocative message.

Now watch this behind the scenes video. If you didn’t feel it the first time, you sure will this second time.

P.S. Just as a side note, I am not an avid soda drinker and when it comes to Pepsi vs. Coca Cola, I usually choose Pepsi. Because I think Coca Cola deserves more than hatred and ignorance, I will think twice about considering them first for my next soda purchase. 

 http://blog.al.com/southern-plate/2008/08/small_Coke-30s-Bottle-Logo-Round-Tin-Sign-C11751051.jpeg

Here are some comments and quotes I have pulled from the 5 minute video that really touched me. I hope these will bring about emotion to you, as it did to me. 

"Study, work hard and follow whatever your dreams are."


"It's really hard to believe that that even still exists." - referring to prejudice


"You know who you are and should embrace who you are."

"I feel very lucky...proud...to have what I have now."


"I'm so happy! That I get to come here and I get to dance and it's so emotional for me."


"When you fall in love with someone who is different than you are , there is this incredible potential."


"We are diverse. And instead of judging or being afraid or ya know making fun of all the different types of diversities and creating these stereotypes we need to wash all that away and celebrate all the different diversities."

No comments:

Post a Comment