Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Newest Fitness Partner

The mornings are still cold, but the afternoons are finally warming up. Spring weather is finally making its way to Boston and I am trying to find every possible way to enjoy it.

Have you thought of ways to enjoy the nice weather (which is only going to get nicer)? Any extra holiday or winter pounds you need to shed before you put on a bathing suit? I can say yes to both of those! Here is a new tool to help you put a few extra steps in your day while being interactive and tech savvy.

One of the latest fitness trends which takes no effort at all is tracking your daily steps. I started with a pedometer a few months back. I wasn’t faithful to wearing it but it was interesting to see how far I walked (or didn’t) the days I chose to wear it.

For my birthday, my husband bought me a Fit Bit. I use it every day and I am loving it! They say your average day should consist of about 10,000 steps or roughly 5 miles. This will vary on your stride distance or how long your legs are…for example, it only took me about 4.5 miles to break 10,000 steps. Vertically challenged here.  If you are interested in a pedometer or Fit Bit, you have plenty of options. The fun thing about the Fit Bit is that you get to track all of your stats on your smart phone!

This was the simple pedometer I got at an athletic store a few months back. I think it was about $15? Pedometers like this can range between $5-$30…depending on how many options you would like. Regardless, they still do the job and only take 2 minutes to set up.


Here is my Fit Bit Flex. If you look at their website, you can see there are few options. The Flex is worn as a wristband and tracks your sleep and steps. With the Smart Phone App, you can also link other Apps to it like My Fitness Pal to track your calories and water intake. I also heard (but haven’t figured out yet) that you can hook it up to Netflix so if you fall asleep while watching, Netflix will immediately stop playing so you don’t miss out on a minute of your show. I’ll keep you posted if I ever figure that out.



After a run outside as the sun was going down last night, I hit my 10,000 steps! It was such a refreshing feeling coming in from nicer weather with the sun out longer and reaching my daily goal! A few other great things I love about this is that you can track your sleep, calories burned, active minutes and can interact with other Fit Bit friends. The Fit Bit even motivates you to reach your daily goals. Sending you reminders when “You’re Almost There!” and when you’ve completed your daily goal, as I did yesterday.




The Fit Bit has become my new fitness buddy and I know we will only get closer in the days to come. Want to know the best part? It doesn’t matter what color wristband you buy with your Fit Bit because they sell a variety pack of colors separately so you can always match your outfit of the day! Fitness & Fashion – my two favorite things in one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment